I can only imagine the streets being lined last night with picnic blankets and lawn chairs in anticipation for the parades that started early this morning- no doubt in the company of many beloved family members and friends. And then this morning, people flooding to Starbucks to grab a quick 'pick me up' before the parades and then retiring to homes for barbecues afterwards under the hot summer sun!
While not in the states this year for Fourth of July, I thought I'd share a little bit about why I love the Fourth of July and especially what made it so special growing up.
Ever since I can remember, my holiday started a couple of days earlier, generally getting on a ferry right after finishing day camp. The food (namely Costco purchases) was loaded in our car, along with our duffels and pillows, and we were picked up from camp and taken to the ferry landing. The celebration started before we even got on the boat- often meeting my Aunt Mary Jo, Uncle George, and cousins, Katie and Sara for a quick KFC dinner at the picnic tables next to the rows of cars waiting to get on the ferry. We were headed to Lopez Island, one of the beloved San Juan Islands, and I was brewing with excitement!
My dad put the car in park once we were on the ferry. We unbuckled our seat belts and literally flew up the stairs trying to find the perfect spot for our short journey. I would often go outside on the deck of the boat, and stand at the bow, and breathe in the sound, the cool breeze hitting my face off of the water.
The ferry docked on the island and we were in our cars, ready to drive to Spencer Spit, where my uncle and aunt have property, our place for the Fourth of July. After initially getting out of our cars, I'd be so excited! Especially as I got older, this was the place that was my escape- a place that holds so many memories, where I could always read a good book in the hammock, laugh and share stories seated around the campfire, and many others.
Unloading the cars and setting up camp took approximately a couple of hours and then, looking at what we'd accomplished, we'd move next to dinner. Traditionally speaking, camp was eight people: my Aunt Mary Jo, Uncle George, cousins: Katie and Sara, my parents, and my brother and I. My aunt and uncle's property had three campers, two parked at the top of the hill and the other at the bottom, which was thought to be "camp headquarters" (my aunt and uncle's trailer). Growing up, we stayed in these campers, but as we got older and the size of camp grew, we moved to a large 10 person tent that was for us kids. The campfire was in close proximity to the trailer, along with a large driftwood table, a hammock, and plastic chairs that faced out over the water.
It is one of the most breathtaking views that I have ever witnessed. The beauty of madrona trees against the Pacific Northwest- watching as ferry boats come and go. It is one of my most favorite places.
Fourth of July morning came early, at least it always seemed early. We were on our way to get our spots in front of the Windemere Real Estate and the best part, to get breakfast from Holly B's Bakery. Now, if you have ever had my brownies before, I should probably just mention here that it is Holly B's recipe that I use everytime.
As kids, we always loved to arrive at Holly B's, pastries created with love and butter resting in their cases, waiting for hungry mouths. My personal favorite was a peach and raspberry danish, although the almond butterhorns would come in close second. The danish was paired with a small bottle of Martinelli's and we'd sit out on the deck and enjoy our delicious choices.
This particular year, my cousins, Gabi and Hunter and my Uncle Greg came with us to Lopez. This was one of my favorite years for the fourth. So many memories. It was also the year that BJ and John Wells, along with their daughters, came up as well. Lopez was always so much more lively with a bigger crowd!
The parade started and there was so much life around! Trucks decorated with red, white and blue while kids rode their bikes, outfitted in costumes and other patriotic clothing. The parade lasts for a couple hours and then it was time for probably my favorite part: the book sale.
The community center, which is a street or so behind the main road in town, had a huge book sale, getting rid of certain titles that were once on the library's shelves, meeting the hands of excited readers. Hardbacks $2, Paperbacks $1 and a whole bag of books for $20. So wonderful! I'd spend a couple hours searching for titles, and picking up ones that I had never read.
I think another reason I always loved this so much was it was something that I got to do with my Aunt Mary Jo. She shared my love of reading, getting lost in a book while sitting around the fire or in the hammock losing yourself to the story. I will always cherish perusing the tables of books with her and our mutual excitement at sharing our finds. And I think this is why I wanted to share about my Fourth of July traditions with you all- because they hold some of my favorite memories of Aunt Jo and I. And although she is no longer physically here to celebrate, I can no doubt picture her enjoying a wonderful danish and cup of coffee in Heaven this morning.
After the book sale, we went back to camp: it was all hands on deck to get ready for dinner. Often, our group would expand by ten or so people that my aunt and uncle had run into while in town for the parade and invite them back to their property for dinner. Dinner was so yummy!
Fresh salmon, watermelon, clams with garlic butter, french bread, salad, vegetables, chocolate cake, crab, as well as many other special camp delicacies that decorated my plate. Oh and I almost forgot- corn on the cob! There was so much- it would leave us full for days and we'd always hope there would be extra for us to munch on in the ferry line the next day.
After dinner, the guests who had joined us for dinner, typically left and we got ready for the fireworks! Putting on our layers, mostly sweatshirts and jeans, we got in our cars and went to watch the fireworks-one of the most beautiful displays in the whole country!
This is my cousin Hunter, Whitney, my cousin Gabi, my brother and Shaylynn all anxiously awaiting the fireworks.
Here, they come:
The EPIC finale!
And with the last boom of the fireworks, our Fourth of July was over. We drove back to camp, completely exhausted, but full of memories of our day spent celebrating with family, friends, not to mention the delicious and yummy food! This holiday serves as an important date in our nation's history, but the memories of my Fourth of July holidays growing up will always hold a special place in my heart.








No comments:
Post a Comment